Thursday, September 17, 2009

Changing Pace. Keeping Peace.

I usually spend my days off at my parents house. And this past Tuesday was no exception. I came back to my castle up on a hill on Wednesday morning at 8 o'clock; plus a bag of vegetables from mom's garden; minus my cell phone.

It's a 40-minute drive between my flat and my parents house. It's not that long. Under an ordinary circumstance, I would have gone back there last night just to have the wireless with me. Hell, I have 10 text messages on average and at least 2 phone calls a day, be it from my family members, coworkers, friends, and what not. But this particular time, when I realized I left it on the table next to bed, I thought about it for 5 seconds, and decided to spend the rest of the week totally without it (I'm going back to my folks this Saturday). And you know what the thing is? I used to feel "naked" whenever I had gone out with my cell phone left at home. But now, it feels totally liberating, like I just chopped off my hair or something.

Have I suddenly turned into some anti-social emo who needs a solitude therapy and cuts herself off from the world? Well, of course not: I am writing an entry here, ain't I? In fact, I let all my friends (that I could get a hold of on my hotmail account) know of the situation via e-mail, and posted my cell-less status on my facebook page to let them know that I am not ignoring them, had they tried to contact me.

I had the same kind of weird impulse last week, Wednesday morning to be precise, and I started walking to work that day, and have been since then. Which naturally means that I have been walking back from work, too (but only for the reason that I don't really have a choice, do I, for a lack of a car at this point?). It's a 2-mile walk one way; for me, that's about 20 minutes. It feels equally liberating to be out on a street stepping one foot in front of another, going forward, feeling my breath in and out my lungs. I now actually get up every morning looking forward to the walk.


I am going through the busiest time of the year at work. Contrarily, since I started walking on a regular basis, I have been feeling quite at peace and in control of things. And I don't think it's merely my adrenaline going up as I get my daily exercise done before and after work that I am being so darn positive.

What is it then?
Well, I am yet to find out.

Until next time,

Sak

4 comments:

  1. Spirit-fit is connected with physical activity closely. I should follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, start walking!i highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i could do that. i'm so jealous but good for you, sounds divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your comment, mylittlebecky. please stop by any time.

    ReplyDelete