Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Beginning

The first entry to my blogger page will be of a picture of my dinner tonight, because I am random like that. Just to assure you kind readers, this blog won't be of a gourmet diary of some sort (both because I am not a gourmet kind of eater AND because I wouldn't want to read a blog that is entirely about food, myself. I have better things to do on line, thank you very much).

This blog will be of whatever I thought was the highlight of my yet another ordinary day. Everyday in my last waking moments in bed, I think of the best things about that day of my life that I just finished living; something that made me feel really great even for a split second. Sometimes it's a line from a book I happened to pick up, sometimes it's an unexpected kindness from a stranger. Sometimes I really can't think of a damn thing before I fall asleep. Sometimes I am thinking it before I even know it.

It's a habit I started when I was in high school. I picked it up from a meeting thing at the Presbyterian church I used to go to in Canada, where we had a discussion of how we should "count our blessings" in our daily lives. I grew to be a non-religious person, but the habit stuck with me because it seems to work. For me, anyway. You might want to try that if you had a hard time sleeping one night. It wouldn't make you a better person when you wake up the next morning, no. But it beats counting sheep, I can assure you.

There are many things happening in and around my life here in the land of Japan. Some are pretty freaking awesome, some pretty awesomely freaky, and lots and lots of neither in between.

It's a strange place, Japan. And I feel myself strange in it. I try to find my place here as the Japanese Canadian American that I am, what I call Japanadian, and everyday come across something that denies and approves of who I think I am. Like my dear friend F told me the other day, I haven't quite established my true self here yet. I had my self identity crisis in the 4th & 5th year of my life in North America, but now I'm having my second one back in my home country. Anyway, counting what I am happy about seems to work in the end of a day. So. That's really my focus in keeping blogs: elements of happiness.

So, what made me extremely happy today? A smoked salmon and scallop salad. I ate this for dinner (I get to have my dinner around 10 at the earliest so I try to keep it light), and it tasted marvelous.

But, I also want to give my brunch of the day a fair chance in making it on the first page of my entry, because it tasted pretty marvelous too. It just remains a little less memorable than the salad because I had it 15 hours ago, and the salad 20 min ago. Never think less of something just because it is chronologically challenged, ladies and gentlemen. And I will play my part as an anti-ageist by proudly presenting to the world my lovely toasts with marmalade and tea:


The yellowness that seems to be exaggerated on the table is quite accidental. I do love my table cloth I picked up in southern France last summer, though.

Until next time,

Sak


No comments:

Post a Comment